Saturday, August 13, 2011

DEMBRE'S TURN-IN (PLEASE READ)

Dembre and I at CCI
About an hour ago I put Dembre in the kennel at Canine Companions and said goodbye!!!

As you might know, every August CCI holds a NCR Puppy Raiser Workshop where you come for the day and listen to some lectures on being a puppy raiser and what it's like turning-in a puppy. It was amazing fun!!!!!!! I woke up at  6:00. I showered, walked Dembre, ate breakfast and mentally prepared for the exciting and exhausting day that lay ahead!!!

First thing when I got to Columbus State for the seminar I got to meet my wonderful blogger friends and fellow CCI puppy raisers Mark, Deb, and their wonderful puppy Ansel (Ansel's Blog). You should all stop by and follow it!!!!! Mark and Deb gave me a wonderful gift.... a Kong Wubba and a very thoughtful card. They said that Ansel's favorite toy was the Wubba and they wanted to share his favorite toy with me and so my next pup will get his very own new Wubba!!! Then my dear friend, who inspired me to puppy raise came with her pup and gave me a very sweet card, as well!!! You guys made my day!!!

Over the first workshop we covered the topic of turn-in and what dogs get released for as well as the testing the pups receive. It was very enlightening!

below the pics is the turn-in experience.............

Tenor with Dembre

Dembre and I with Dembre's trainer Adrena

Dembre and his brother Dash II (five minute kennel mates)

Dembre and his new kennel mate Ansel

the cookie

My card from Deb, Mark, and Ansel

My card from Marybeth
the new Wubba from Mark and Deb

Then came the ceremony!!! I walked up and got a pretty flower. I didn't get emotional just enjoyed getting to say that I raised Dembre. We enjoyed seeing wonderful teams graduate!!!! After that I enjoyed good lunch with my whole family (except for one brother), including my grandmother, and my friend Mary Beth.

Then came the second workshop where we talked a little while and then worked on commands. I got to meet Dembre's sweet brother Dash II and his puppy raisers and reminisce about puppy raising memories. I really loved talking to all the different puppy raisers from out of state.

............ and then turn-in. I'm sorry to say I didn't take it hard. I didn't even cry. I wanted to cry and get emotional, because I cried last year when I thought about turn-in and what it would be like. I enjoyed talking to Dembre's very nice trainer Adrena and talking more to close friends picking up and turning in. When it came to putting Dembre in the kennel it wasn't that hard. I put him in and he started to play with his brother and his kennel mate. A few minutes later they switched Dembre out and put him with Ansel III, because Ansel was with another intact dog so they wanted to switch them out. We took pictures. We laughed; I really felt like Dembre was happy... not stressed. And so I felt good about turn-in! 

Now I'm puppyless!!!  For a couple of days until I receive Mr. H. on Wednesday!!!!!!!

I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR READING MY BLOG AND ENCOURAGING ME THROUGH THE UPS AND THE DOWNS! THANKS FOR ALL THAT YOU DO! AND EVEN THOUGH I NEVER MET MOST OF YOU I FEEL LIKE I KNOW YOU AND AM GRATEFUL FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Dembre and I before the ceremony
at CCI

Dembre and his brother Dash II

Dash and Dembre

Dembre

Dash

Dembre and I with Dash and his wonderful puppy raisers!

~ELIJAH AND MR. H. (NAME TO BE REVEALED ON MONDAY)

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first turn in! Keep us posted on how Dembre does in training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and Dembre on a job well done! I wish we could have been there for the ceremony and workshop today.
    I know Dembre will make you proud. In the meantime, we're looking forward to reading about your adventures with your new pup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on all your hard work, I can't wait to hear how Dembre does in his advanced training.
    Holly and I are looking forward to hearing about you and Mr. H.
    Thanks again for the puppy raising you're doing. Life is made so much easier for people w/ disabilities because of your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I missed you guys!!!
    I look forward to continue to raise along with wonderful puppy raisers like you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Dembre will have a wonderful future because of the care and time you spent with him. Good luck with your new pup Elijah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you took it well. I know how you feel about the crying. It doesn't matter how sad I am I can never cry at turn in. All my puppy raiser friends think I'm a weirdo. I personally think it makes for a great turn in.

    That's so awesome you saw Andros. I SO SO SO wish I could have gone. I wanted to see my sweet Andi so bad. Did he look good? Behaving himself? Was he nice and thin?

    (sorry for all the questions about Andros, their just the reactions from a caring "mother")

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know. With turn-in it made it so much easier just to be able to be happy instead of really emotional. I do miss my boy, but I know he'll be fine :)

    Andros looked great!!!! He looked healthy, happy and was by my standards a perfect working dog!!! Sadly I didn't get to meet his partner, because they did the command thing right after the lunch and I didn't get time during that time before turn-in. But I'd love to meet her soon! I did get to meet your friend Kara with Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We really enjoyed getting to meet you and Dembre and some other members of your family. We were very sad when we initially walked away from Ansel's kennel; we can't tell you how much it means to us to hear that Dembre is his mate now and that they were enjoying each other's company. The picture was heart-warming. It has given us peace of mind as we awaken and reflect on this very first "Ansel-less" day. Thanks for letting us know. Especially--thanks for all that you do to enrich the lives of other people, Elijah.

    Mark, Deb & Lassiter

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, okay, maybe you didn't cry, but your post made me cry! Congrats on such a great job with Dembre. And how amazingly awesome he gets to be kennel mates with Ansel! They can share blogging stories!

    Congrats on Hobart too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, guys!!!! I'm certainly gonna miss having my wonderful and bouncy Dembre around the house!!!! He's such an AMAZING dog!!!!!! I can't wait to receive Hobart either!

    Mark and Deb I am super excited that Ansel and Dembre get to hang out :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers!
Thanks for stopping by,
Elijah and Hobart