Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Remembering a Reason (through tough seasons)

Puppy raising is one of the best, most inspirational things that has ever happened to me! I absolutely love what I do! But sometimes..... It's hard to stay perfectly inspired.

November was a team training month (a month with a graduation). CCI doesn't have puppy class on the first three weeks of a TT month. There was supposed to be class last week, but it got cancelled. I'll say that I'm REALLY grateful for having those classes, because I don't think I could raise without them. I get to talk to all of my CCI mentors, who always have insight into what I should improve in my training.

Hobart is a "difficult" puppy. I love him very much, but he is stubborn. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't want to do what I want him to do. He also likes to put his little puppy mouth on EVERYTHING. Strangely, he especially likes Kleenex. I'm constantly taking them out of his mouth and throwing them away. I give him a toy. He chews on it for awhile and then goes back to eating Kleenex.

Even if Hobart is on leash three feet away from me, he's quite eager to try to get something inappropriate to chew on. He's, to be frank, pushy! When will he learn that enough is enough? Hopefully SOON!

Hobart would make an amazing pet dog. He has a manageable amount of energy and some nice spunk. That's NOT really a positive for a CCI pup. He's really good with his cape and gentle leader so I hope he's good in public, when I start taking him out.

Hobart 7 weeks

Hobart 5 months
 I know that God has put me where I am for a reason so I'll press on and hope that Hobart becomes a little easier to deal with. Then again, I'm learning so much from having to work with a stubborn pup

~Elijah & Hobart II

8 comments:

  1. Not knowing what to expect or what "makes" a CCI dog - I am in the clouds regarding all-things Haddie. I am sure that is normal for a rookie. =) She too is going through a "must take everything and not listen to you" phase - but hers is socks, not Kleenex. As a result, she is back to being on a leash in the house so I can add the "fetch" training when she decides to pick something up. It's okay if she picks it up, so long as she brings it to me for a Drop command. I too wonder if she will ever outgrow this side of her disobedience. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I remember my first dog...Buster.
    I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet those classes are fun! I've gone to one with each of my pups for a total of three, otherwise I just go to local dog 4H meetings and work with my pup off to the side.

    It's really difficult, I think, when you get one of those more difficult pups, especially after having an easy one (my first puppy was the perfect first puppy :)) Although it's tuff, you will a LOT from them and become a better PR for the next one! I think they all seem to go through a "kleenex" stage at some point. For my first puppy it was Kleenexes, it was keys for my second pup, and it was slippers for Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's encouraging to know that you guys all deal with the same problems. Elle, it's been great to keep up with Haddie, because I can know that both of the siblings have a lot in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hobart reminds me of a few people I know:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I am stopping by to let you know that I've nominated you for the Liebstar blog award! It's a fun way to get the word out about lesser-known blogs. Please stop by my blog to pick it up!
    Thanks,
    Riley and Dozer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, those tough puppies are certainly challenging. But, man, once they have their brain you'll look back so fondly on all those days and be so grateful for it! Hoping this stage passes quickly, cause it's no fun in the moment - that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers!
Thanks for stopping by,
Elijah and Hobart