Friday, February 17, 2012

DEMBRE'S GRADUATION (THE OFFICIAL POST)

Dembre graduated! It has been one of the best days of my life. First we got to the rec center where they hold the graduations and got to take Dembre out and get a bunch of pics (which you'll see below). Then we handed Dembre back to his trainer and went to lunch with his new partner, Imelda. She is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met and she makes the most perfect match with Dembre. She loves him and he returns that emotion quite clearly. It was so amazing to hear her stories about him and all the things that he does for her and then getting to share photos and stories from my time with Dembre. Imelda lives a quiet life of prayer, which is great because we have our faith in common. Before hand I was scared that there wouldn't be enough to say, but that wasn't the case. Our hour long lunch flew by and was gone before I knew it!
So proud of that boy!!!!!!!

Then came the ceremony! I got Dembre back and walked him around to meet more of my friends and say "hi." Both of my grand mothers came as well as three families that are friends of ours. Then I got to walk up and hook Dembre's leash on to Imelda's wheelchair and give her a hug. I got to watch some of my wonderful friends turn-in their dogs and hand over their dogs at graduation! It was SO SO SO amazing!

You cannot describe the feeling of utter fulfillment and happiness when you get to hand over that leash and say, "here's your puppy." The moment I saw Dembre I knew he wasn't mine. He looked and looked for Imelda when I had him, because she's his new leader. It's great!
one more "lap"

Handsome as ever
The other amazing thing about graduation was all the support that I received. I can't recall how many of my wonderful CCI puppy raising friends came up to me and gave me a hug and said that they were so very proud of Dembre and I. All of my CCI mentors were there cheering me on and it was so encouraging. I even got quite a few CCI staff members saying that they were so excited for me. It's indescribable. Watching all these people I respect so much tell me how much the care!!!! I want to thank all of you readers for all your support via comments and sharing. Many of you have watched Dembre grow up from the time he was 2 months old and I thank you for your ongoing support and encouragement.
Reunited once more
Me and my boys!!!
Those eyes
handing over the leash!
Imelda, Dembre, and I!!!
Thanks again for everything!!!!!!

with so much joy
~Elijah & Hobart II (saying goodbye to Dembre)

22 comments:

  1. wahoo Elijah. So happy for you, Dembre, and Imelda. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy tears!!! OH my... such an amazing day for you - so proud of your accomplishments with Dembre! And my goodness! Hobart has GROWN. What happened to that little puppy. This was the perfect post to make me stop feeling sad about Vance's turn in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Very happy for you and Dembre. Hobart looks soo big now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! So happy for you, Dembre, and Imelda! Elijah, you did an awesome job with Dembre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!! Congratulations to all three of you!! I LOVED CCI NW campus graduation today, as we watched a friend turn in her puppy. Off to a GDB grad tomorrow. THIS is what it is all about! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cool! I want to go to a different region for a grad. some time to see what it's like! Enjoy your time at GDB too

      Delete
    2. Elijah- I eventually want to take a tour of and go to a graduation in every region! It's interesting the differences with the same organization. At NWR when we have a pup graduate we have lunch with the graduate and then we go over to the graduation site and get our puppy. We don't see them before we meet the graduate, but we get a picture of the whole graduating class and one of our puppy with their partner before we meet their partner.

      Delete
  6. Hi Elijah! you don't know me, but I have been following you blog for about 6 months now, and just picked up my first CCI puppy to raise on Wednesday. You have inspired me to keep my eyes at the end! Thanks you for sharing you journey with Dembre and Hobart, and congratulations on Dembre's graduation!

    Hannah and Dante III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Congrats and welcome to the PR world! Thanks so much!

      ~Elijah & Hobart II
      do you have a blog?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply, I actually just started a blog (dayswithdante.blogspot.com). I would love for you to check it out! Congrats again, I can't imagine how ecstatic you must be!

      Delete
  7. I am so proud of you and Dembre, and cannot imagine how much emotion there must be, handing over the leash.
    I found your blog several months ago, while researching puppy raising, and read it from the very first post in just a couple days. Seeing someone my age raising a puppy really showed me that anything can be possible with hard work and determination. Because of you, I want to become a puppy raiser.
    The one thing I need your help with is discussing the idea with my parents. I have an essay written about the organization, (KSDS), what my life will look like as a raiser, and how these dogs become miracles, but I would like to find out all of the details of when you first introduced puppy raising to your parents, so I can comprise the most successful way to discuss this with my parents.
    Thank you so much, for being my inspiration,
    -A teenage girl from Utah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's amazing! I don't know if you read any of my blog posts talking about before I was a PR, but I went about it the exact same way you are. I actually wrote a short booklet and included pics and stories and how I'd make a difference. I did 4 months of research before saying anything to my parents or hinting anything and then just got together with them and asked. I said that I wanted to change someone's life and I'd do whatever it took to puppy raise. Being the wonderful parents that they are they said, "yes". Something about the selflessness of the matter seems to work!

      I'm so happy that I can inspire other people not, since I was inspired so much by reading PR blogs.

      I hope you are able to raise soon!

      ~Elijah & Hobart II
      (P.S. tell me if you get a blog)

      Delete
  8. SO Happy for you, Dembre, and Imelda!! Reading your post reminded me so much of Mindy's graduation and brought back those happy tears from graduation!! It is hard to put that feeling of handing over the leash into words, but boy! does it feel amazing! I can't wait to hand over the leash again someday.

    Hobart has gotten big! Dembre also looks older and wiser! I am so happy you got to experience this and congratulations again on a job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the great accomplishment! It must have one long tear jerker day...in a good way of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first and last photos are my favorite - Oh my! what a fantastic day and most perfect accomplishment for you and Dembre! Congratulations again to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps - I don't think that Hobart and Haddie could look any more alike than what they do in the photo of him on this post. Identical! So thankful I found your blog so soon after hearing my assignment to Haddie. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! It was certainly quite a day!
      Elle, Thanks! Also, I'm happy that we can watch our pups grow up together :D

      Delete
  12. Elijah

    Send me your favorite picture from graduation for the Scoop. And if it's OK, I'd like to use the first paragraph from your blog -- or if you'd rather write something else.

    Congratulations again -- Imelda and Dembre make a fabulous team!
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you want a pic of Dembre and I or Dembre or Dembre, Imelda, and I? Which first paragraph?

    thanks,
    Elijah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Elijah! You must be so proud. What a wonderful job you did and are doing.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers!
Thanks for stopping by,
Elijah and Hobart